[OT] C# can do all the interpolated strings now

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 16:34:23 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 9 December 2021 at 16:02:19 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 December 2021 at 15:55:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> You can fix this with implicit conversion to string, but it
>> makes for weaker typing:
>
> This has been discussed over many years.
>
> If you haven't read the previous DIPs and those too, you aren't
> contributing anything. It is a complete waste of time to go
> over this over and over and over and over and over and over
> again.

Ola may be ignorant of the previous DIP, I do not know. I
certainly am.

However, I have migration multi million LOC codebase toward safer
string interpolations constructs that catched real bugs and
hardened security.

The kind of solution used then resemble much more what Ola
describes than what the current proposal describes.

The proposed solution has serious drawbacks compared to more
standard approaches, to begin with, such as not behaving like an
expression and requiring the consumer to be aware of the
construct.