How to convert C to D using compiler?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:49:44 UTC 2021

On Friday, 10 December 2021 at 02:51:11 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:

> Are you sure it's not a form of Stockholm syndrome? Why is the
> change good?

For sure there is some high degree of Stockholm, with something
as addictive as D. :)

But in this case:

- makes the language and implementation a tiny easier. If it
makes compiler engineers happy then it's a positive (afaik some
wanted to kill builtin complex with fire).

- as a heavy complex number users: you don't really write _that_
much literals often at all. 80% of these complex literals are
zero and one (for which aliases would be maybe nice in
std.complex btw)

- Complex literals always seemed a little un-D to me:
       Complex!double(-2.1039 , 2.6575)
   yields less questions about operator priority than:
       -2.1039 + 2.6575i
   We have to remember cfloat/cdouble/creal also introduced the
ifloat/idouble/ireal types.

   Also the i is easily misread in 2.6575i, so there there was
less fanfare about using complex numbers. It falls under "short
syntax for rarely used thing" trap to me.

- a lot of the code using complex numbers separates imaginary and
real values in separate arrays. That, or SIMD code, erase the
type anyway.