[OT] C# can do all the interpolated strings now

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Fri Dec 17 11:32:19 UTC 2021

On Friday, 17 December 2021 at 10:14:32 UTC, bauss wrote:
> On Friday, 17 December 2021 at 09:42:30 UTC, Patrick Schluter
> wrote:
>>
>> DIP's are not supposed to be for newbies. They are destined at
>> the language implementers and advanced users to detect issues
>> and solutions to the problems. They are not tutorials and
>> should not cater to beginners.
>>

> I don't think he's referring to the DIP process, but rather
> what the DIP covered.
>
> Meaning the language construct and implementation.

This is a documentation issue. That the implementation of the DIP
might not be easily understood by newbies is imho irrelevant. The
skill of the users might be a factor for the usage of the
feature, not how it is put in the language.

Look, Walter's initial proposition was much simpler and quite
easier to understand. This proposition requires much higher
skills to understand how it works (one needs to know what
parameter tuples, templates, overloads etc.), yet Walter's
proposition was a stinker (sorry for the language) because it
opened the floodgate of substitution bugs, type mismatches and
injection risks. Traps a newbie could easily fall into. On the
new proposition, newbies might be stumped on certain behaviours
(i.e. it's magic) but the language does the "right thing". If the
"right thing" is a little bit more complicated, so be it.