New Linker Mold Version 1.0 released [1] expieriences?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 11:29:43 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 23 December 2021 at 21:50:07 UTC, Bruce Carneal
wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 December 2021 at 12:38:05 UTC, Atila Neves
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 21 December 2021 at 13:01:20 UTC, Martin
>> Tschierschke wrote:
>>> Just want to ask if anybody is using mold as an replacement
>>> for
>>> GNU gold or an other linker?
>>>
>>> [Mold on Github](https://github.com/rui314/mold)
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://www.heise.de/news/Linux-Linker-Alternative-Mold-will-schneller-sein-als-GNU-Gold-und-lld-von-LLVM-6302178.html
>>
>> On a work project, it reduced link time from 1.2s to 0.8s.
>>
>> On dmd/druntime/phobos - crash.
>
> Was the crash with ldc, gdc, dmd?  I ask because from this
> https://issueexplorer.com/issue/rui314/mold/126 I gather that
> others believe DMD is out of spec.

I didn't investigate. As soon as things didn't work I typed `sudo
ln -sf /usr/bin/ld.lld /usr/bin/ld` and carried on with my life.

lld at one point produced crashing binaries with D code but that
got fixed. I can't remember if it involved changing dmd or not,
but I think so.