Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 06:09:30 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 29 December 2021 at 05:14:43 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 11/15/2021 6:14 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> Some reassurance that it won't be shot down for stupid reasons
>> would go a long way. For `static foreach`, the desired
>> semantics were clear to Walter and Andrei from the start and
>> they really wanted that feature in DMD, so that the DIP
>> process went pretty smoothly. I am not feeling any similar
>> excitement for tuples, even though it's the most wanted
>> feature among forum readers according to the state of D 2018
>> survey... I just don't have the time and energy required for
>> week-long forum debates anymore.
>
> Actually, I agree with the need for tuples, and am very open to
> a good design for it.

Sorry if this sounds very naive, but if we can't use the `struct`
ABI for tuples, why don't we use the `class` ABI? Yeah, reference
types are undesirable, but it sounds like a very viable
placeholder until we think of a better implementation.