Worst ideas/features in programming languages?

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:07:20 UTC 2021

On Monday, 11 October 2021 at 15:59:10 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> I'm brainstorming about what I'll talk about at DConf, and
> during a conversation with Walter I thought it might be cool to
> talk about:
>
> * Worst features implemented in a non-toy language
> * Worst features (in your opinion) in D
> * Features you'd like to see in D
>
> Ideas? Examples?
>
> Thanks!

For me there are two main ones:

* A lot of people have said this one but I'll +1 it. Tuples fully
built into the language with destructuring and all the common
features. A year or two ago I thought this was definitely going
to happen.

* Relaxing policy on symbolic and
infix/prefix/postfix/binary/unary notation, perhaps having
protections against using obvious things like "." but relatively
free elsewhere. From a science/math point of view this would be
great, and it can greatly improve code readability in such
applications.