Nim's ORC - Vorsprung durch Algorithmen

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Feb 1 17:30:30 UTC 2021

On Monday, 1 February 2021 at 14:08:06 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:

> Nim has a strict separation between "managed" and raw pointers,
> while in D they're the same type (class references also have
> unclear ownership semantics).

Yes, that's is what makes the difference. Nim has all the degrees
of freedom when it comes to changing GC algorithms and has
several possible GC algorithm that the programmer can choose
from. D is painted into a corner because the lack of managed
pointers.

Also, regarding DIP1000 and DIP1021 is going nowhere. I haven't
seen any plan what this would in the end produce and therefore it
is just an unplanned attempt and has nothing to do with improving
the GC.