Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--String Interpolation Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 2

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 23:00:54 UTC 2021

On 2/3/21 4:00 PM, Q. Schroll wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 17:40:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> Sorry, I'm late to the game here. This reminds me of slices vs static
>>> arrays.
>>> As a reminder, to a newcomer,
>>>      auto xs = [ 1, 2, 3 ];
>>> looks like it would infer int[3] as the type of xs. It is obviously
>>> the most descriptive type for the literal. Why would it infer int[]
>>> forgetting its compile-time known length and even do an allocation?
>>> That seems so much worse. Even typeof([1,2,3]) is int[] and not
>>> int[3]. We know why D does it the way it does and goes int[3] with no
>>> allocation only if requested explicitly. You can do that with a
>>> template with a flexible length like this:
>>>      void takesStaticArray(size_t n)(int[n] staticArray);
>>> Here, `n` can usually be inferred from the argument.
>>>
>>> Interpolated strings could do the exact same thing:
>>> 1. make typeof(i"...") result to `string`.
>>> 2. make auto str = i"..." infer string (cf. typeof) and gc-allocate
>>> if necessary.
>>> 3. give i"..." a secondary type akin to [1,2,3] having int[3] as a
>>> secondary type.
>>
>> I don't want to do it that way, because then the overload is not easy
>> to ask for. I really really don't want the string form to be passed
>> into a vararg template.
>
> I think I understand you. I want the best of all worlds, too. Maybe I'm
> just not seeing it. As of now, I'm really convinced that, while it would
> be nice to have, it just would break too much intuition. Using something
> as simple and common as i"..." correctly MUST be trivial. One shouldn't
> have to look up how it works.

I get that position totally, and it's mostly where I'm coming from too.
A string interpolation is meant to be a string first, and an expanded
tuple if supported. I would be happy with a system where it's easy to
specify that a function can accept interpolation tuples instead of
strings as a variadic parameter.

>>> If an interpolated string is bound to a parameter of that secondary
>>> type (`interp` in the DIP) it uses its secondary type (cf. calling
>>> takesStaticArray with [1,2,3]). In any other case, e.g. `auto` or
>>> otherwise generic template parameters will infer string.
>>>
>>> Getting a string is probably what most users expect most of the time.
>>> Handling the secondary type must be explicit. It is almost an
>>> implementation detail that shouldn't be exposed to the user too easily.
>>
>> I'm not sure how this could be possible. You can't say T... and have
>> it match the tuple over the string, unless the primary type is the tuple.
>
> I'm not completely sure what that paragraph means.

I mean, let's say we wanted to make a function that doesn't just accept
an interpolation tuple, it can accept multiple tuples. How do you write
the signature for that? Or maybe you have optional parameters that look
awkward inside the interpolation sequence? Once you get into variadic
parameters, you have no power (except via template constraints) to say
the interpolation tuple form should be used.

Maybe in practice this isn't needed, but I am uneasy with no way to
express that API.

Note that I use this capability to explain why we don't need
concatenation, because 2 tuples separated by a comma are still a tuple.

Also, the fact that the tuple matches "Best effort" functions such as
writeln and text (and probably a host of others, such as logging) I
found to be very pleasing. Basically any place that accepts an untyped
list of things to stringify.

As pointed out, there are also other cases where an untyped list of
things is used for non-stringy things (such as std.typecons.tuple). It
might end up being, you just have to live with that use case.

>> But if you have ideas, surely I'd prefer it to be a string first in
>> most cases!
>
> I'd say the best idea is to make i"..." decay into string unless forced
> to be interp!".." (or really being a better match, really think about it
> like binding [1,2,3] to int[3]).

I read your post on the feedback thread, and it's definitely a different
take than I had considered. Perhaps there is a way to do it, but for
sure your mechanism of taking the string parameter of the first interp
struct as a template parameter is a better mechanism than what I had
thought of with template constraints.

> An easy way out would be giving the
> actual type of i"..." a property .interp or .__interp that (cf. tuple's
> expand) returns the interp sequence. That way, it can be tested in
> pragma(msg, i"...".__interp) while also being correct whenever used in a
> canonical form. __interp couldn't really be a library function. An
> alternative would be __traits(interp, i"...").

Yeah, with your scheme, it would have to be a compiler directive somehow.

> The interpolation tuple really is an implementation detail that is
> relevant for an important, but still a rather small minority of functions.

I'm not sure I see it that way. The interpolation tuple allows one to
accept string/data lists without allocation or transformation. That is
super-powerful and super useful.

I would agree that the major use case that most people will use is just
to allocate a string.

-Steve