Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--String Interpolation Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 2

ddcovery antoniocabreraperez at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:38:00 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 08:10:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> The whole "${}" thing is too verbose, it reminds me of the
> JavaScript variant which is basically no easier to read than
> concatenation.  Python got it mostly right...

In my opinion,

   `${a} plus ${b} is ${a+b}`

is definitely easier to read than

   "" + a + " plus " + b + " is " + (a+b)

Dart
   "${a} plus ${b} is ${a+b}"
   or
   "$a plus $b is ${a+b}"

Kotlin
   "${a} plus ${b} is ${a+b}"
   or
   "$a plus $b is ${a+b}"

Javascript/Typescript
   `${a} plus ${b} is ${a+b}`

Python
   template = Template('$a plus $b is $c)
   print( template.substitute(a=a, b=b, c=a+b) );

   or

   print( Template('$a plus $b is $c).substitute(a=a, b=b, c=a+b)
);

That without taking into account that python solution is a "run
time" template compiler while Dart/typescript/... is a compile
time type safe in place string expression.