what is the state of property-functions?

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 20:43:27 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 6 February 2021 at 20:21:16 UTC, Martin wrote:
> I would like to point out that the documentation for
> property-functions needs improvement:
> https://dlang.org/spec/function.html#property-functions
>
> Cool, this feature is what i just needed -> me, happy
> Then i see the warning -> mental pain
>
> This is a very unpleasant situation. Should i use it? Should i
> not? How long is the Warning there already, is it still valid?
> - a review is mentioned but no link to the process is given.
> This telling me basically: There are property-functions, but
> there are $kind_of_broken, you can use it - but maybe it will
> be removed tomorrow.. or next year, or never. :)
>
> TL;DR
> The Documentation raises more questions than it answers.
> What is the state of property-functions?

Property functions are currently in a limbo state right now, as
the implementation is unfinished. The D language leaders has not
comment on the state of @properties for years already, as it
deemed to be not of top priority. The current state of it is
considered to be obsolete, by other programmers here.

You can track my progress of finishing the implementation of it
here: https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/12097

Currently it is on hiatus as the debugging information provided
by dmd is god awful. I am currently working on improving the
debugging experience for visual studio, by focusing on the debug
info that is generate by dmd.

-Alex