D for safety critical applications

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Feb 9 10:10:05 UTC 2021

On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 11:09:49 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> Talking with some colleges. They have some questions regarding
> D:
>
> 1. Is D ready for prime time á la safety critical applications?
> (I guess they mean GDC on ARM for example)
>
> 2. Are there any plans to make a certified compiler?

Just to put it into some perspective. I have worked with so
called certified C/C++ compilers in the automotive industry. I
remember encountered several bugs in those compilers as well they
are usually far behind when adopting the new language standards.
Compare this to GCC, when was the last time you encountered a bug
in that compiler? I can't remember any.

The certified compilers which are not better than GCC are usually
proprietary and cost money for each user. Here we have a product
that is essentially worse than GCC and cost money. What it is
really about is a form of corruption. The only positive side is
that if you find a bug you can put pressure on the company that
provides the compiler but usually that takes several months.