D for safety critical applications

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:09:31 UTC 2021

On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 11:09:49 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> Talking with some colleges. They have some questions regarding
> D:
>
> 1. Is D ready for prime time á la safety critical applications?
> (I guess they mean GDC on ARM for example)
>
> 2. Are there any plans to make a certified compiler?

One would presumably certify some version of the D compiler,
let's say 2.095.0, and would have to use that for years to come.
Perhaps patch version updates would be okay (2.095.1), but no
updating to 2.096.0 without re-certifying.

My experience is that Dub projects tend to stop compiling after
perhaps 5 or so versions on average. That means that if D
libraries are used, one would have to start maintaining them
themselves after some time. This isn't a showstopper, since such
maintenance is not a major burden assuming the library is already
stable and no new features are desired. But it means that if
someone releases a D library 3 years after the certification, the
new library probably can't be used without considerable porting
effort. One would be fairly much stuck with what exists at
certification time.