D for safety critical applications

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:34:18 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 14:14:42 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> This makes me wonder what certifying the tool practically
> brings to the table, apart from doors that can be entered with
> a certificate only. If certification of the tool does not
> improve the safety of the product and does not make it easier
> to test the safety of the product, I have the feeling that the
> certificate only improves perceived safety.

I quess the point is that at least the knowledge of the bugs the
compiler has does not get old. If you always use the newest
version of GCC for instance, there is the possibility that code
changes due to new features or refactoring have caused new bugs
since the bug manifestation site was last tested.

Still, one would think it'd be more efficient to certify a
version of an open-source compiler from a public interest fund,
and anyone could then use that version for free.