D for safety critical applications

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:37:42 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 15:10:55 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
Scherkl wrote:
> I know, here are a lot of people that have very little trust in
> thoughts that someone else put into something, but it's their
> choice: use something certified or spent a lot of time to prove
> it yourself.
> If you proof it yourself anyway, a certificate maybe really
> useless for you.

I don't see how a certificate relieves you of the responsibility
to consider the safety and quality of your tools yourself.

You use a certified compiler. The certified compiler produces a
bug. As a result, a product that you released doesn't work. Does
that mean that it isn't your problem? No, of course it doesn't!
It's still 100% on you to fix it. With that said, I don't
understand what you are paying for. Are you paying for the vendor
to think about security? But why would you want to use a tool
from a vendor who doesn't think about security to begin with? One
way or another, the buck stops with you, not the vendor.

It's not that if you consider the safety and security of your
tools yourself, the certificate is useless for you. It's that you
have to consider the safety and security of your tools *whether
or not* they're certified.