D for safety critical applications

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 9 19:59:02 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 16:58:35 UTC, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 15:37:42 UTC, FeepingCreature
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 9 February 2021 at 15:10:55 UTC, Dominikus Dittes
>> Scherkl wrote:
>>> I know, here are a lot of people that have very little trust
>>> in thoughts that someone else put into something, but it's
>>> their choice: use something certified or spent a lot of time
>>> to prove it yourself.
>>> If you proof it yourself anyway, a certificate maybe really
>>> useless for you.
>>
>> I don't see how a certificate relieves you of the
>> responsibility to consider the safety and quality of your
>> tools yourself.
>>
>> You use a certified compiler. The certified compiler produces
>> a bug. As a result, a product that you released doesn't work.
>> Does that mean that it isn't your problem? No, of course it
>> doesn't! It's still 100% on you to fix it. With that said, I
>> don't understand what you are paying for. Are you paying for
>> the vendor to think about security? But why would you want to
>> use a tool from a vendor who doesn't think about security to
>> begin with? One way or another, the buck stops with you, not
>> the vendor.
>>

> I think there is a slight misconception in this thread that the
> certification is for the end product only when it is focused a
> lot on the processes that result in it. That also means that
> the vendor providing a certified product is under certain
> obligations. One of them is enabling the user of the tool to
> use it properly (e.g. a safety manual), another one is an
> obligation to manage defects. AFAIK this involves a process for
> notifying customers of critical bugs.
>
> Nitpick: safety != security. Safety in this context means that
> the resulting product does not experience silent or undetected
> malfunctions. Security is resilience towards dedicated attacks
> on a system. These are different things, even though they
> overlap to some degree.
>
> The reality is that a lot of ISO 61508 compliant environments
> are safe (i.e. the factory *will* shut down safely if things
> break), but terribly insecure (a hacker can take over and mess
> with tons of parameters).
>
>> It's not that if you consider the safety and security of your
>> tools yourself, the certificate is useless for you. It's that
>> you have to consider the safety and security of your tools
>> *whether or not* they're certified.
>
> This. You need to invest considerable time and effort to
> establish processes and toolchains that are compliant. A tool
> certificate is no good if the processes around it are not
> compliant. There are many ways in which you can be
> non-compliant with a compliant toolchain. The impact of a
> certificate on your own processes is simply that tool
> qualification has already happened elsewhere.

Correct. Safety and security are not really related. And even
under the word safety there are different kinds of safety. For
example the definition of a safe state is very different in
different environments. For example in the nuclear sector some
doors must *open* on failure while in some other sector they must
*close*.

Also in the mobile sector (I've worked as a control systems
developer for harvester heads) the definition of a safe state can
be both to freeze all valves etc, but also to release all energy
of the system depending on various factors (PLD cat3 iirc in that
case).

So it's a complex topic that's for sure 😁

Today I work as a systems architect on a radio remote control
company and safety is (unsurprisingly) important ofc.

I'm not really sure we need a certified compiler (although we
currently have one for certain products). We have a dialog w most
certification "institutions" and tbh some times I'd say we know
better then they do what is really safe (depends ofc). There are
also other techniques like black channel/box etc etc but that's
another topic.

I'm writing on the phone atm, I can elaborate on what our
requirements would be later. But one reason I looked into D in
the first place was actually @safe and the things Walter talked
about.

I have hope for D being useful for us.