DIP 1038: @nodiscard - Unofficial "post-final" review

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Feb 26 20:00:52 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-23 00:32, Paul Backus wrote:

> @nodiscard is a user-defined attribute, and the compiler currently
> allows multiple declarations of a function that differ only by UDAs. [1]
> Again, I agree that this should probably be an error, but since it is an
> issue that affects UDAs in general, it should be addressed in a Bugzilla
> issue, not DIP 1038.

I would like to point out that compiler recognized user defined
attributes were introduced as an alternative to keywords and attributes
prefixed with `@`. Keywords are reserved words and cannot be used for
user defined symbols. Attributes prefixed with `@`, i.e. `@property`,
were introduced as a form of an additonal namespace for keywords. The
word after `@` is not reserved so it can be used as user defined
symbols. After that, user defined attributes were introduced. Even
though you can have a user defined symbol named `property`, you cannot
use that as a UDA, because it would cause a conflict with `@property`.
This makes attributes prefixed with `@` for or less the same as keywords.

Then compiler recognized UDAs were introduced to solve all of this.
`@selector` is a recognized UDA, but you can still name your symbols
`selector` and you can still use that as a UDA. If there's a conflict
with the regular UDA and the compiler recognized UDA, the user can use
the normal language features to disambiguate the names, i.e. renamed
imports, static imports, aliases an so on.

That means that the compiler should be free to, more or less, add any
semantic behavior it wants to a compiler recognized UDA. For example,
both the `@selector` and the `@optional` compiler recognized UDAs have
several restrictions and other semantic behavior which a regular UDA
doesn't have. They can only appear once in a method declaration, they
can only be attached to methods with Objective-C linkage, they cannot be
attached to templates, the number of colons in the string passed to
`@selector` need to match the number of parameters. `@optional` affects
how a class implements an interface.

If you say that you cannot add a specific semantic behavior to a
compiler recognized UDA because it's a UDA it all falls apart. If you
don't add any special semantic behavior at **all**, it would just be a
regular UDA.

--
/Jacob Carlborg