Memory Management in 2021?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Jan 1 18:22:31 UTC 2021

On Friday, 1 January 2021 at 17:07:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Is there a rough plan for where D is heading with memory
> management in 2021?
>
> Just roughly?
>
> I also wonder if it would be possible to use refcounting (or
> ARC) for everything except class objects. Then add write
> barriers for pointers to class objects only and leave those
> garbage collected with a lower latency incremental mark/sweep
> collector. That should work out mostly ok for performance?

We absolutely need a roadmap and a vision where D needs to go
when it comes to memory management. Many of us expected this to
clear up with Walter's presentation at Dconf 2020 but it was more
basic explaining the concepts with the borrow/checker and was not
something that revealed any information about any direction of
the memory management in D.

This is a subject with a lot of opinions but the D project has to
do through with this despite it demands a lot of work and
discussions.