What type functions mean on a language level

claptrap clap at trap.com
Sat Jan 2 11:59:39 UTC 2021

On Friday, 1 January 2021 at 23:26:58 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> Good Evening and Happy new year to everyone.
>
> After a stressful move to the UK in uncertain times, I am now
> free and able to enjoy the last day of my holiday.

Welcome to the UK. Some small advice for the newcomer ;)

If someone says "how are you" or "alright", it's a greeting, they
dont actually want to know if you are alright. They would be
happy with a concise "Im OK", or "Not bad" in response but they
dont generally want more than one sentence.

An awkward silence after the initial greeting is perfectly
acceptable.

Almost everything is "Not bad" in the UK, it's not good enough to
be excited about anything, but not bad enough to be miserable.
The range of life events that fit within the definition of "Not
bad" is quite large, family members dying, losing a leg, wining
the lottery etc.. are all "Not bad".

The weather. Be sure to have an opinion about the weather, it is
the most important thing to talk about. Even if you have just
seen the person 10 minutes earlier the weather changes so often
that you can mention it again.

Recently it has become fashionable to say something about the
lack of snow in the winter compared with when you were a child,
or that it's like summer all year round because of global
warming. (British summers are mostly indistinguishable from a
mild winter)

If in doubt assume British people are being mildly sarcastic
whenever they speak.

"Spotted dick" is a pudding made with suet and dried fruit.