What type functions mean on a language level

sighoya sighoya at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 17:28:20 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 16:29:17 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:

> The reason I use the new primitive type __type__ is because
> typeid is meant for RTTI, and it's runtime dependent.

Yes, but I think not for types.
> Whereas __type__ is a proper langauge builtin.
> And therefore it can use builtin properties.
> I would not be able to expose .sizeof as the .sizeof property
> for example if I used some typeinfo class.

I don't understand this, could we define properties on any type?
Or are built-in properties only allowed for built-in types.

Note, we have tsized and talign properties for a TypeInfo
structure.

See: https://dlang.org/library/object/type_info.html

> In short the look & feel would suffer.

Hmm, what about extending TypeInfo to have sizeof and the other
properties referring to tsize and talign?

> By using a less integrated design.

My thought is to reuse existing structures.