What type functions mean on a language level

sighoya sighoya at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 22:26:32 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 2 January 2021 at 19:06:32 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:

>That's needlessly increasing surface knowledge one needs to have.

Therefore, I recommended mapping `sizeof` to `tsize` and
`alignof` to `talign`.

If this isn't possible, then yes you got the point.

> The reason that the existing structure typeinfo is not used
> much at all is because it's less appealing than using the
> template approach, even if that has other issues.

Because you can't even do that yet,
1.) we need to lift typeid() to be callable at compile time
2.) and to provide a way to convert a typeinfo back as a second
class type, i.e. a normal type we use in templates.