Tuple DIP

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Jan 3 05:44:57 UTC 2021

On 01.01.21 19:53, Rekel wrote:
> Is this DIP dead?

Let's say it's hibernating. Originally I wanted to spend time on it
during the hackathon at dconf 2018. Andrei wanted me to instead work on
__mutable, claiming it was of strategic importance while tuples are not.
He then completely binned __mutable later. Right now I am just too busy
to champion this, and the lack of enthusiasm from decision makers does
not help motivate me to attempt trading some of my health for tuples.

> Several parts of the proposal seem very nice to me, and it seems like a
> waste not to have it considered. (assuming
> https://github.com/tgehr/DIPs/blob/tuple-syntax/DIPs/DIP1xxx-tg.md is
> the latest version of this not submitted proposal)

It's mostly a matter of rebasing/finishing the implementation and
possibly arguing on the forums for a couple of weeks/months.

> Slightly unrelated, but wouldn't it be better to change the comma
> operator to a different symbol entirely?

Ideally we'd just add tuple syntax and then use (..,..,..)[$-1] as a
replacement for the comma operator.