Swift is getting async, structured concurrency and actors

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 20:13:20 UTC 2021

On Monday, 14 December 2020 at 01:04:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 16:17:32 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 December 2020 at 09:55:29 UTC, Ola Fosheim
>> Grostad wrote:
>>>
>>> It should be possible on MIPS, which doesn't use a stack...
>>
>> All general purpose CPUs have stacks one way or the other so
>> I'm not sure what you mean that MIPS doesn't use a stack.
>
> By design, RISCish activation frames.  Basically a linked list
> IIRC.
>
> Very common in high level runtimes too. Allows for massive
> concurrency.

Hm, tried to look for it now, but didn't find anything on it for
MIPS. Might have been another architecture, but probably not
worth it with caches that came in the 90s and then 64-bit.

Anyway, the basic idea is that you don't require a contiguous
stack, so that you can have many threads without running into
address space problems. So, useful for simulations, but also for
the ability to detach a computation from one thread and sending
it to another one.