"Exceptions will fade away in modern languages"

Marcone marcone at email.com
Tue Jan 5 19:17:26 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 22 November 2020 at 00:09:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 November 2020 at 23:05:19 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> I reacted to the comment of Walter Bright about exceptions in
>> the "Destroy All Memory Corruption" presentation. The point he
>> made that exceptions don't play well with compile time data
>> flow analysis. He also mentioned that he thinks that exception
>> will become obsolete in the future. Exceptions are used in
>> many languages today and even the newest ones so I can't see a
>> trend here.
>
> Exceptions can be modelled with conditionals in static
> analysis. They should work out ok with dataflow analysis.

Many conditions to check before jumping, and then you still run
the risk of some denial. Often everything looks good and ready to
work, and even then it can give some unknown error. Could the
entire thread stop working due to a minor error that could be
tried again?