Beyond the veil: What's after type functions

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jan 6 16:30:25 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-04 20:30, Stefan Koch wrote:

> With this in mind, please tell me what you think :)

I think this looks like yet another new set of features just to avoid
AST macros. What everyone is currently doing is inventing many highly
specialized features just in the name of avoiding AST macros, regardless
of the cost.

Instead we could have a very generalized features that would solve a
whole bunch of problems and even more problems we haven't thought of yet.

When it comes to the actual API, again, it looks highly specialized for
the purpose of the example. It also combines a lot of different language
features to do its job, instead of providing a more unified API. Also, I
don't like the idea of adding more magic symbols to the compiler, we
already have too many of these. D has an excellent module system, but
we're not using it. Everything is stuffed into object.d or directly as
magic symbols into the compiler.

BTW, the first example is 72 lines. The second is 75 and the last one is
65 (all lines between triple dashes).

--
/Jacob Carlborg