Why D is not a popular language?

sighoya sighoya at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:13:52 UTC 2021

On Friday, 8 January 2021 at 16:26:43 UTC, Marcone wrote:
>Why D is not a popular language?

- historical reasons D1 vs D2, paradigm shift from oop to
parametricity and value types
- immature tooling
- no killer app
- no large company promoting D including offering jobs for
- the best parts about D: meta programming is at the same time
the worst part, it works pretty good in simple cases, soon as you
building something complex, it didn't work as you intuitively
assumed.
Further, corner cases regarding feature compatibility and
compiler bugs/limitations hinders productivity

Double-edged sword is the broad spectrum of paradigms, D's
pragmatism. On the one hand side it widens the fields for
applicability of D, on the other side it leads to a community
with mixed or better contrary goals impeding commitment to
convention.

However, all these things aren't either dramatic.

> Better integration of D with Qt5 and Qt6 and the web would make
> Dlang rise in popularity.

Yes, but also better Gtk support would be good? Or maybe
something new completely in D?

The biggest part for me is more software ergonomic feeling when
developing with D. We are not in the eighties anymore. I don't
know surely if we can realize better tooling by utilizing and
improving the DMD compiler, maybe we need, just as it is the case
for Java, an D IDE compiler.