Why D is not a popular language?

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 19:46:35 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 9 January 2021 at 14:47:35 UTC, aberba wrote:
> Those in charge don't even use such fancy tools themselves. So
> it's it quite unlikely to come from them.

I wonder to what extent the higher-ups and language designers
have used/kept up with the newer features of languages such as
C++ and C# (latter case in terms of syntax sugar).

There always seems to be that wall of one side being like "This
is a large readability/productivity/whatever boost" and another
being "I don't get how this is useful, just use a (buggy and or
clunky and non-standard) library implementation and be done with
it".

I feel other languages are evolving both in language features
*and* ecosystem *and* tooling and so on, all at the same time,
whilst D mostly focuses on the language and there being only
small, dedicated yet separate communities in D's ecosystem,
leading to a feeling of (and maybe actual) stagnation in certain
areas.

Is there a well-known, public, high-level vision of D anymore?
I've expressed this view many times now, but I don't seem to have
noticed any real management for D as a whole - just isolated
areas of it.

I couldn't really tell you what D's future looks like, since the
information either doesn't exist; is hidden behind closed doors,
or just isn't in an obvious, easy-to-find location. For example I
personally wouldn't call "X made a post in a thread with 50+
replies stating something interesting/important, alson the
thread's title is also only barely related", as being an obvious
location.