In the age of microservices and networking in general, were D is at?

Pierce Ng pierce at samadhiweb.com
Sun Jan 10 01:50:50 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 at 19:14:57 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> The end result was that the Go version ran at 0.5x of the Ruby
> version and the D version ran at 5x of the Ruby version. This
> was without trying to optimize the code afterwards. Only some
> common sense while writing the code, like if you can do it at
> compile time, do that. I'm pretty sure I didn't even used LDC
> for an optimized build.

Apologies for replying to an old post, but "0.5x of Ruby" and "5x
of Ruby" could be read to mean that the Go version ran in half
the time of the Ruby version while the D version took 5 times as
long to run.

> Of course, everyone at the company was only talking about how
> on earth the Go version could be slower than the Ruby version.
> Someone later did some improvements so that the Go version was
> up to the same speed as Ruby. Nobody talked about how much
> faster the D version was, except me :( .

Ok you meant Go version was half the performance of the Ruby
version and D version was 5 times faster.

This reply hopefully adds context to search engine indexing when
people look for D performance. :-)