Forum RSS seems not work at all

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 04:54:37 UTC 2021

On Monday, 11 January 2021 at 10:54:55 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 January 2021 at 17:59:22 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
> wrote:
>> Note that by default it returns entries in the past 24 hours
>> (with the logic being that a RSS client should check the feed
>> at least once a day),
>
> On e.g. Android if you don't open your RSS reader then it may
> be hibernated until you do. You will miss everything from
> previous days.

Some (most?) RSS feeds use a "last N posts" culling policy, where
N is some fixed number such as 10. The problem with this approach
is that, should there be more than N new posts between two
regular checks, then clients will miss those posts. The worst
part is that there is nothing that clients can do to avoid
missing posts in this circumstance - they would need a crystal
ball to predict sudden spikes of activity.

This is why I chose to use the "posts within N hours" policy for
DFeed. To avoid missing posts, a client only needs to ensure that
it checks the feed in at most N hours intervals. This setting
should be readily configurable in RSS/Atom clients. For example,
here is the relevant UI in Thunderbird:

https://dump.cy.md/c085bd98c245f7ee0974568637838f1f/04%3A42%3A49-upload.png

On Android, apps can request from the operating system to be
woken up at regular intervals. This does not require that the app
is running in the traditional sense at the time (i.e. loaded in
memory), or even that the device is not in some low-power mode.
See e.g. the documentation of android.app.AlarmManager.

One potential improvement is to implement pagination as per RFC
5005, but I would like to defer this until we know that it is
also implemented with effect in a feed consuming application in
use by a forum.dlang.org user.