Forum RSS seems not work at all

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:46:06 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 12 January 2021 at 15:34:42 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 January 2021 at 04:54:37 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
> wrote:
>>
>> Some (most?) RSS feeds use a "last N posts" culling policy,
>> where N is some fixed number such as 10. The problem with this
>> approach is that, should there be more than N new posts
>> between two regular checks, then clients will miss those posts.
>
> Yes, but at least they will see that there have been new posts
> and can check the forum to find the rest.

That's making a few assumptions there. The user would have to do
that every single time to ensure they don't miss posts, or assume
that the server always returns the last N posts and thus
carefully count the number of new posts that arrive in one batch.

> Otherwise they see no new posts just because the last day has
> been silent.
>
> About Android waking up the reader - what if the device is off
> or doesn't have connectivity on a certain day?

I would imagine the answer to be one of:

- implementing RFC 5005 (on both sides)

- the user is not fulfilling their side of the assumptions which
the feed "protocol" is based upon, and therefore cannot expect to
observe an uninterrupted feed

- the user is putting too much faith on a vanishing standard
which was never designed to work in a pub/sub fashion, as it does
not have the necessary "all entries since <timestamp>" (or
similar) operation as part of the protocol.

:)