3 months of waiting...

Berni44 someone at somemail.com
Sun Jan 17 17:46:32 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 at 11:41:56 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 February 2020 at 10:04:25 UTC, berni44 wrote:
>> On Friday, 7 February 2020 at 20:00:16 UTC, berni44 wrote:
>>> I still don't know, if I will leave or stay...
>>
>> I really don't fit in here...
>
> Social dynamics in open source is fascinating to me. Can you
> elaborate a bit on why you don't think you don't fit in? I'd
> like to learn from your perspective.

Better late, than never: The reason for my perspective was
probably
not the community but a mental health problem on my side: I
featured a
medium recidivating depression, which I didn't know at that time.
During corona lockdown this got worse. But the good news is: I'm
completely (and hopefully permanently) healed meanwhile.

I now can't say, what exactly I disliked at that time. But there
are a
few things, that come to mind:

* There is a lot of off-topic discussion in this forum. Maybe,
because
it doesn't feature private messages like other forum software
(like
myBB) does. Better formatting features would also be nice.

* I'm missing a list of people with offical role including contact
information.

* I dislike very much bug preserving solutions in fear of code
breakage. The most prominent example is probably: writefln("My
friends
are %-(%s, %).", ["John", "Nancy"]);

* "The best is the worst enemy of the better": I dislike comments
on
PRs of the sort "This could also be fixed for ..., would you
please
add this?" A better approach would be to accept my PR and then
file a
second PR oneself.

* IMHO the focus should be more on removing bugs/improving docs
than
on implementing new features. I also support the removal of stuff
with
little use (std.zip, std.zlib, std.signals, std.uri, and maybe
even
support for reals?) to reduce the load of stuff, that needs taken
care
of.

> I see that you had alot of the same thoughts that I've had.
> Issues with PRs and bugs that stay open forever with the focus
> on new features rather than fixing issues. Do you think this
> community is beyond hope?

No. With the two new PR managers there is some hope. ;-)

In ernest: I was really happy, when I read about them a few days
ago.
And, coincidentially, I recently felt desire for working on phobos
again. So all in all: I'll give the D community a second chance
(and
hope for a second chance myself). :-)