Rant of the day

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 26 06:55:16 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:44:41PM +0000, aberba via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 25 January 2021 at 22:00:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > At this point, a dub package or some other external module is
> > probably a better bet.  I'd try my hand at a standalone 1-file
> > replacement for std.mmfile,
>
> Yeah, dub is totally okay.

Dub is OK as a package manager, but I have serious difficulty with using
it as a build system. It just goes against the grain of how I usually
work, and has fundamental limitations with what I usually need to do,
and so I have not invested much effort into it.

My current inclination is along the lines of Adam Ruppe's single-file,
self-contained, dependency-free module that you can literally just copy
into your workspace and use right away.  Over the years I've come to
question the sacred cow of code reuse and the dependency hell it often
entails (solving NP-complete problems, for example, should be something
your program helps the user to do, not something that you have to do as
a prerequisite to compiling/using the program!), and now prefer
alternative approaches that involve simpler and more uniformly
composable artifacts.

(Of course, if anybody wants to add dub support to my code, I'm more
than happy to accept patches.)

Marketing: the art of convincing people to pay for what they didn't need before which you fail to deliver after.