Printing floating points

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 02:29:44 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 01:56:55 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 01:38:38 UTC, Joseph Rushton
> Wakeling wrote:
>>
>> Yup, I'm in complete agreement with you on this.  I am curious
>> if the MS implementation and usage carries the extra weight
>> described (ryu alone is more lightweight, it's ryu printf that
>> has the larger tables).
>
> Judging by this presentation, it's just regular Ryu:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P_kbF0EbZM

This link: https://github.com/microsoft/STL/issues/172
suggests that they're adding 121KB of constant data and that
they're compiling 385KB of source code. Wow.  Hope that's mostly
the tables.

Also, per the youtube presentation that Paul pointed at, that
does not include 80/128 bit FPs as their "long double" is defined
to be "double".