Printing floating points

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:09:08 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 06:14:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 00:53:11 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>> You made an assertion, in a proof discussion, that the
>> tractable extension of the exhaustive proof to cover larger FP
>> types, was "no problem".
>
> Eh. I argued that you can fully cover an implementation without
> doing exhaustive testing. Don't confuse what I will waste my
> time on with what is possible.

No, you made an assertion regarding the tractable extension of an
exhaustive proof from 32 bits to longer FP representations for a
particular implementation, a problem that I believe to be wholly
unlike the simple examples that you later provided (those all
enjoyed very clear domain co-domain mappings while suspected
opacity of that mapping is the main concern regarding your "no
problem" assertion).

Also, please understand that I do not regard your time as more
valuable than the time of your readers.  In that spirit I suggest
that direct answers to questions regarding simple topics ("no
problem" topics), are preferable to assertions that you don't
have time to help others understand.  Also note that "I was
mistaken" and "I'm not sure what you mean, could you clarify
x,y,z?" are perfectly acceptable responses (that I've used on
more than one occasion and will, no doubt, use again in the
future).