Printing floating points

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 02:25:57 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 22:49:11 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 17:00:36 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>> Great.  Two questions: 1) Do you believe that a trivial
>> domain/co-domain mapping, like those in the examples you gave,
>> exists for the problem under discussion? and
>
> Certainly trivial from a theoretical perspective, in the sense
> that they are finite and therefore can be easily tabulated. If
> you want a more compact form you probably should look at
> modular arithmetics. You left out an important criterion,
> space-time efficiency.
>
> The inverse mapping is also not terribly complex, but first you
> need to establish what you want to show. In the context of
> Phobos, minimal length is of little importance, it has not
> impact on correct usage. We don't have to care if the algorithm
> produces more digits than necessary, so we can limit ourselves
> to the inverse mapping from decimal to binary. Basically
> proving that we then get the x = f⁻¹(f(x)) = id(x).
>

>> 2) If so, do you have time to provide a proof?
>
> Proof of what? And are you willing to pay for it?
>
> (I suggest you drop the juvenile tone, it is annoying.

Perhaps you mistook my meaning when I used the term "trivial".  I
could also have used "simple", "readily understood", "clearly
provable", etc.

Regardless, you clearly do not understand what I'm asking in
question 1) and I do not think it likely that additional
interaction on this topic will be useful to either of us.