Printing floating points

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jan 28 06:21:17 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 10:18:58PM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 1/26/21 9:17 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >
> > If there was a way to make these tables pay-as-you-go, I'd vote for
> > it.  Adding 104KB or 52KB even if the code never once formats a
> > float, is not ideal, though granted, in this day and age of cheap,
> > high-capacity RAM not really a big issue.
>
> There is a way -- dynamic libraries. It's how C does it.

That's total overkill for 100KB of data.

> But seriously, I can't imagine why we are concerned about 100KB of
> code space. My vibe.d server is 80MB compiled (which I admit is a lot
> more than I would like, but still). My phone has as much code space as
> 100 computers from 10 years ago. Are you still using floppies to share
> D code?
[...]

It's not so much this specific 100KB that I'm concerned about; it's the
general principle of pay-as-you-go.  You can have 100KB here and 50KB
there and 70KB for something else, and pretty soon it adds up to
something not so small. Individually they're not worth bothering with;
together they can add quite a bit of bloat, which may be desirable to
get rid of, for embedded applications say.

What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.