Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--String Interpolation Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 2

claptrap clap at trap.com
Sun Jan 31 11:04:20 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 31 January 2021 at 05:37:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> It's simply that if I want to use it with printf, I have to
> write my own printf intermediary. That's not using it with
> printf. It's kinda trivially obvious that someone can write
> their own functions to do things, but pretending it is printf
> by naming it printf just puts a layer of confusion in for the
> reader. printf is so ubiquitous that it brings expectations
> when saying printf can be called that printf is actually being
> called, rather than some intermediary one must write oneself.
> Personally, I'd reject any PRs that contained an overload for
> printf or any other member of the C Standard Library.

Why is "working with printf" so important? I mean all the current
code that uses printf can just carry on using it. Anyone who
wants to use string interpolation can just start using iprintf
from the d stdlib or whatever.

I mean i dont see why string interpolation working with printf is
so important that it should put such constraints on the more
modern aspects of D. It's a legacy C function, let it be that.