Discussion Thread: DIP 1036--String Interpolation Tuple Literals--Community Review Round 2

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 14:31:48 UTC 2021

On 1/31/21 7:24 AM, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 January 2021 at 02:57:59 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> FYI, I was just made aware that this is because the message in the
>> feedback thread is about to be deleted. I'm posting my reply the same
>> as it was in there.
>>
>> [...]
>
> In light of the criticism from various people, is there some kind of
> "middle ground" solution that could be made? 🤔
>
> Like for example printf and friends, could the DIP somehow either have
> some helpers and/or show clear examples on how you would use
> interpolation in those cases?

I've already done that, see https://run.dlang.io/is/X5HcXS

printf with this DIP and it's BetterC compatible.

But that is not the point of the DIP at all. We are not trying to make a
fancy way to call printf. So in my opinion, this is a distraction. It
just shows the power of the DIP can make what you want trivial to
accomplish.

> Btw, I want this to pass, so I'm just trying to find a way forward.

I don't think it's a question of middle ground, I think it's a question
of goals.

-Steve