DIP1000: 'return scope' ambiguity and why you can't make opIndex work

claptrap clap at trap.com
Tue Jul 6 09:06:47 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 05:15:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/5/2021 4:36 AM, claptrap wrote:
>> How the heck are us mere mortals supposed to use this stuff if
>> you struggle to understand what it means?
>
> I make mistakes all the time. That's why D has unit tests built
> in, and an acceptance test suite.

It wasnt a criticism of you, it was like if the most experienced
and talented developers are struggling to make sense of it how
can the average programmer (me) ever hope to use it correctly.

It just seems that whenever a DIP1000/safe thread comes up nobody
really understands it.

Like it's the exact antithesis of "easy to use correctly"