Work & D

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:43:18 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 11:27:31 UTC, WH wrote:

Hi WH! Welcome to our community. If you want to get engaged there
are multiple ways:

1. https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues has a list of
projects that vary in complexity, however, there are a few that
are doable by entry level persons:

https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/84
https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/81
https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/80

There might be others, I just skimmed through the first page.

2. https://issues.dlang.org/ is our bug tracker. There are
multiple repos where you can contribute but I would suggest
starting with documentation bugs
(https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=dlang.org&list_id=236695&product=D&resolution=---) or with standard library bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=phobos&list_id=236696&product=D&resolution=---). Some of them might be more complicated, but I'm sure you'll find easier ones also. Note: there is also the bootcamp keyword which is usually used for simpler bugs (https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=bootcamp&list_id=236697)

3. We are trying to enforce a specific style in our standard
library. For that we use an automated tool (called dscanner) that
checks style guidelines, however, some files are excepted due to
historical reasons. We are trying to fix them as much as possible
and contributions in this area are low hanging, high impact,
fruit. To give you some pointers: check this dscanner
configuration file [1]. The name of the checks are self
explanatory and there are indications in that file.
This could be a good contribution start.

[1] https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/.dscanner.ini#L103

These options are not going to bring you any money, but will help
you with your github portfolio and will put you in a good
position to get funding from SAoC/GSOC etc. in the future. Also,
for any questions, you can join our slack channel
(dlang.slack.com).

Cheers,
RazvanN