What were some of your biggest breakthroughs while learning D?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 18:54:49 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 at 20:53:12 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:
> What's something you learnt or realised, a habit you developed,
> something you read or project you worked on that helped
> accelerate your understanding and/or productivity in D?

-That I have many lurking bugs in my code that end-to-end testing
will never discover. I realized that in the first project where I
unit tested in serious amounts.

-That regardless of the above, I should not try to unit test
everything. If a quality application is the aim, then sure I need
to unit test most stuff before declaring 1.0. But premature
optimization with reliability is almost as bad as with
performance.

-That it's good to document versions of the compiler, DUB and
libraries I'm using. Even better is to use a reproducible build
environment like Flatpak or Nix.

-(this wasn't discovered while using D, but applies to D anyway)
That it's definitely good to use version control for anything
serious, even if I'm the only programmer! It does have a bit of
learning curve, but it has a LOT of benefits. I don't necessarily
need to have a cloud backup, using an USB stick as a backup
repository works too.

-That I should use a regular release of DMD compiler as a default
-not the development build of DMD I happen to have last done.
This applies to any part of D toolchain of course.