@system blocks and safer @trusted (ST) functions

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 12:49:28 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 28 July 2021 at 08:40:47 UTC, claptrap wrote:
> If you're saying the proposed "system blocks inside trusted
> functions" provide no advantage over teh current "trusted
> lambdas inside safe functions" yes thats true. But I think the
> point is trusted functions get more checking. Even if you say
> well you can achieve the same by just using a trusted lambda
> inside a safe function its not the same once you consider what
> people actually do.
>
> If you have just one trusted function in your app, then
> switching to this new regime would automatically give you more
> checking.
>
> You have to take into account how people will actually behave,
> even if you can technically achieve the same thing with the
> current system.

If I understand correctly, there are two problems being diagnosed
in this discussion (overall--not just in your post), and two
solutions being proposed:

* __Problem #1:__ most uses of function-level `@trusted` are
mistakes, and allow too much code to go without automatic checks.

* __Proposed Solution #1:__ get rid of function-level `@trusted`
as it currently exists. Instead, automatic safety checks will
only be disabled in specially-marked blocks (like in Rust). This
will encourage programmers to disable automatic checking only for
the specific lines of code where it is actually necessary, rather
than for the entire function.

* __Problem #2:__ `@trusted` lambdas make code harder to review
and maintain because they have implicit dependencies on the
surrounding `@safe` code.

* __Proposed Solution #2:__ ban `@trusted` lambdas, and force
programmers to put their `@trusted` code into separate functions,
which communicate with `@safe` code explicitly via arguments and
return values. (See: [Walter's PR][1]).

There is logic to both of these proposals, but their solutions
conflict: one pushes for less use of function-level `@trusted`,
the other for more use of it.

[1]: https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/3077