If Zortech C++ and dmc++ are fast, why is dmd's asm slow?

Luís Ferreira contact at lsferreira.net
Tue Jun 1 14:33:10 UTC 2021

> In my experience I have not bumped into this issue all that
> often, especially when allowing the compiler to use a specific
> machine description for the target (Working out exactly which
> target information most of this is due to is unfortunately quite
> painful as modern compilers are anything but simple when deciding
> what to do based on their nicely specified  machine description
> files)

Well sure. Arch mainly does it also due to the fact they generate asm
for generic x86_64, but my point is rather saying that higher level of
optimizations at a certain point comes with tradeoffs between space and
speed and a lot of people compile always with -O3 thinking it is the
one with best optimizations possible.

There's even some compilers with very specific optimizations for like
loop unrolling or unsafe loop optimizations that are not in the common
optimization flags.

--
Sincerely,
Luís Ferreira @ lsferreira.net