Travis-CI.org has shut down

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 15:41:16 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:08:09 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> [snip]
>
> In addition to the information you've already been provided
> about pricing, here's a blog post where they explain the
> changes:
>
> https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing
>
> They couldn't continue as they did before because that meant
> they were footing the bill for cryptocurrency operations. All
> the providers are facing the same issue:
> https://layerci.com/blog/crypto-miners-are-killing-free-ci/

I don't dispute that crypto mining is a concern, but I find the
Travis-CI people are a little disingenuous about it. Most
obviously, if people are consuming too many resources, then warn
them, or queue their projects, or start banning them. If that
doesn't work, then move to the pricing model but give enough
credits every month so that 95% of the formerly free group won't
have to worry about paying. The fact that every open source
project I know of is running for the hills from Travis-CI,
suggests the free credits are not generous enough.