Is D Dead?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 16:16:27 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 15:50:20 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> People don’t write libraries because it is easy, people write
> libraries when they need libraries. People don’t need many
> libraries written when linking existing C libraries is well
> supported.

Many people write libraries as exercises. Yes, maybe C libraries
have an impact.

> Why would language-oriented programmers produce high star count
> GitHub repositories? Wouldn’t you consider yourself a
> language-oriented programmer?

Well, I just noticed there are not many D libraries that has been
started in the past 5 years that have a high star count. I would
assume that if people appreciate a library then they would give
it a star? So, there were fewer new libs than I would expect.

> When I find a dub library that covers my needs I am happy and
> use it. I’m not clicking through to its repository to star it.

Yes, understand, but other languages also have package-managers.