Transitions to new language semantics

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 13:43:34 UTC 2021

On Friday, 11 June 2021 at 11:57:03 UTC, surlymoor wrote:
> Doesn't Rust do something like this? A problem I read
> concerning its ecosystem is the tendency to target nightly, and
> thus using a more stable branch of the compiler leaves one high
> and dry, so to speak.

I don't know. But I think some languages (Ada?) have different
feature-profiles. D does also have a profile called "BetterC".

So, one could define a "maximal compatible" feature profile for D
and use a linter to verify that a library stays within that
profile.

Say, if you wanted to write a geometry library, then you might
want to target BetterC as the minimum profile, but use
conditional version statements to enable more features for other
profiles.

D as a language have the mechanisms, I think, but it isn't used
effectively as it requires someone to work out a "standard way"
of writing libraries.