OT: WWDC 2021, ARC in Swift: Basics and beyond

sighoya sighoya at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 12:35:44 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 12 June 2021 at 11:44:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10216/
>
> Maybe consider if this is the future the anti-GC folks want to
> have in D.
>
> It is nice to throw ARC around when unaware of the details how
> it actually works, possible bugs or crashes.

Interesting, but it doesn't really apply to D as we only use
shared reference counting as library feature, so we probably
won't profit of such optimizations.

However, I would favor the route the nim language does take and
annotate certain parts of GC code as acyclic either proved or
assumed, so these GC pointers can be excluded from cycle
detection.