OT: WWDC 2021, ARC in Swift: Basics and beyond

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Sun Jun 13 00:50:44 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 12 June 2021 at 17:55:46 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 June 2021 at 16:56:54 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> If D is going to implement ARC, then I suggest as automatic as
>> possible with cycle detection.
>
> Which basically is combining RC and tracing GC like Python.
>
> Then you might as well just use GC.

The advantage of reference counting is that it provides reliable
gc pauses.

How much of a difference that makes—particularly insofar as you
can avoid allocations or disable collections during critical
paths—is not clear, but it's certainly not so simple a calculus
as you make it sound.