Why no stable LTS releases?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:13:40 UTC 2021

On Monday, 14 June 2021 at 09:18:19 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> The front-end used by GDC _is_ DMD. :-)
>
> You can generally expect any given major release of GCC to
> support and backport any fixes to the version of DMD it's
> sporting for 3 years.

Sadly, LDC was much easier to compile on Mac than GCC the last
time I tried. If this is changed then it makes a lot of sense to
view GDC as a stable release if it is stable over a period of 3+
years.

But then you have to be quite picky about which release of DMD
you embrace, and not try to follow the latest release because
people demand it (before it has proven itself as free of
regressions).

Another issue is that of libraries an "tutorialish" starting
points (like a 2D game app on github that is a startingpoint for
writing your own games).

They need a clear set of feature-profiles, so that it is clear
whether a compiler upgrade will break or not break an older code
base. People seem to complain about this regularly in the forums;
they found something interesting on github, try to compile it and
get lots of errors.

What is the difference between GDC and LDC? Off the top of my
head:
1. I assume dcompute
2. LLVM intrinsics

Are there differences between GDC and LDC inline assembly?

Map out all these "sets of features" and how future/backwards
compatible they are and define a manifest-file-standard for
expressing it in repos and we can talk about stability.