Why no stable LTS releases?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:02:54 UTC 2021

On Monday, 14 June 2021 at 14:48:43 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> The darwin port maintainer and I have been testing various OS X
> versions and hardware combinations.

Good to know, thanks!

> I think people would prefer to have the latest over
> regression-free.  Having a release branch open for 3 years
> should allow plenty of time for all regressions to be plugged
> long after DMD has moved on to the next major release.

Maybe. I strongly prefer regression free (applies to all
languages, not only D), maybe others have different priorities.

When you say you have a release branch open for 3 years, how many
branches do that imply?

> 3. ldc.attributes vs. gcc.attributes.  I've kept it in sync
> with LDC, but GDC has a few more attributes available - mostly
> alternative names though to match GCC equivalents.
>
>> Are there differences between GDC and LDC inline assembly?
>>

> Yes, there are.  Though LDC does support GDC-style asm nowadays.

Ok, so it should be possible then to add a linting-pass to GDC
that warns against LDC-incompatible features? Thus making GDC the
preferred compiler for library authors that does not want to
litter they code with conditional compilation statements?

Anyway, making it possible to write tutorials/libraries that
remain valid over time and that works equally well for both
production compilers would greatly improve the eco system.

There is a lot of old D code on github, sadly it can no longer be
viewed as relevant to the eco system...

Something worth thinking about, in my view.