Iterators and Ranges: Comparing C++ to D to Rust

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:31:31 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 15 June 2021 at 13:25:23 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Actually the real problem is that people think it is not fast
> enough, based on urban myths without touching any kind of
> profiling tools, or measuring it against the project hard
> deadlines.
>
> More often than not, it is already fast enough, unless we are
> talking about winning micro-benchmarks games.

This is true, but what if the benchmarks show you do need to
optimize? You need to avoid systemically slow designs in advance
or you run the risk of having to rewrite the whole program.

Now, you absolutely can design your program in [insert non-system
language] so that it can be optimized as needed. But I believe
Petar was arguing that certain kinds of inefficient iterator APIs
discourage doing so.